Wednesday, September 22, 2010

MMMMM....Mexican...

I love Mexican food, my husband not so much. That didn't come out right. I love my husband and Mexican food, he does not love Mexican food. Hah. However, a couple of years ago I went to a great Mexican restaurant in Asheville with my friend Sarah (I can't remember what it was called) and ate a dish that I could not stop thinking about. It was Mexican street tacos with shredded pork...yum...very lean, delish, I didn't feel sick after eating them. You put the pork mixture on a small, corn tortilla, sprinkle it with lime juice and cilantro then roll it up and eat it. I decided I needed this recipe so I started searching online and found one that sounded similar so I tried it and started adapting it. I think it's now pretty much...I don't want to say perfect....but...freakin' amazing might be a good adjective. It's also a crock pot recipe so it's super, super easy! My husband, W, loves it! We had friends over last night for dinner so I decided to make this, take a few pics and share the tasty results with you! Here it is:

PERFECT Shredded Pork Tacos
-serves 8-10 (or more, 4 lbs. is a lot of pork, freezes well though)

4 lb. pork (either pork butt or pork tenderloin--I use tenderloin because
                 it's leaner and almost always on sale)
3 poblano peppers, roughly chopped and seeded
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 bunch of cilantro
2-3 T Worcestershire sauce
Juice from 3 limes
3 cloves of chopped fresh garlic or 2 T minced fresh garlic (you know the kind
    you can buy in a jar and keep in the fridge, an absolute must-have)
4-6 tsp. Cumin (start with 4 then add more later if needed)
4-6 tsp. Emeril's Essence spice mix (again, start with 4, add later)
salt and pepper to taste (wait to add salt at the end b/c Emeril's has salt already)
1 package white corn tortillas
Manchego cheese (in the specialty cheese area...so, so, so good and creamy)
lime wedges
salsa verde (optional)

Add onion, garlic, 2 of the poblano peppers, 1/4 c. chopped cilantro, worcestershire, juice from 2 limes and half the dry seasoning, to the slow cooker then stir. Rub the pork with the other half of the seasonings and place in the slow cooker, fat side up. Cook on high, 4-6 hours until tender. Remove as much of the fat as possible (usually just peels off easily) then shred pork with two forks-stir in onions and peppers from the bottom. Add remaining Poblano pepper and check the seasoning--usually will need more cumin and Emeril's a little salt and pepper. Cook another hour to hour and a half. Just before serving, stir in another 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped cilantro to taste. serve with warm corn tortillas, cheese, lime and salsa verde. Enjoy!



I also tried a new recipe for Mexican rice that turned out good. I changed up a few things. Here's the recipe:

Mexican Rice

1 T. butter
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, chopped (with seeds)
1 tomato, seeded and chopped (or 3/4 big
    tablespoons of canned rotel tomatoes)
2 big tablespoons of tomato paste
1 cube chicken bouillon
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro
1 clove garlic, chopped or 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
4 c. chicken broth
1 T. vegetable oil
2 c. long grain white rice

In a medium sauce pan, cook butter, onion, peppers, tomato, tomato paste, chicken bouillon, spices and garlic until veggies are softened. Then add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, in a non-stick skillet, heat oil and cook raw rice in oil over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Once the broth/veggie mixture is boiling, add rice, cover, reduce heat to low and cook 20-25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.



And what is Mexican food without a frosty, cold Corona with lime?! Nothing, I say, nothing!


1 comment:

  1. You've definitely got me in the mood for mexican now! I tried commenting on the last post, but it doesnt look like it worked for some reason. Anyway, love the blog Chels!! So glad you started one :)

    ReplyDelete