Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Gin

After reading Julie and Julia (really good book, by the way), I became obsessed with trying a "gimlet" cocktail. Julie talked about it all through the book-although they often made them with vodka- and she made it sound so refreshing and glamorous. 

It's made with gin and Rose's sweetened lime juice, four parts gin and one part Rose's. This, while quite tasty, could also be used in a pinch to clean an oven or dissolve cement. So I migrated to the "Gin Fizz." Doesn't that sound so 20's prohibition and whimsically delicious?

The Gin Fizz:
1 part gin
2 parts club soda ("The Fizz")
1 dash of Rose's
Mix gently so as not to destroy the fizz and serve over ice in a rocks glass.

Yummy, yum, yum!

File:Bombay-sapphire.jpgGin facts:

1) It's made with wheat or rye so it's a "light-bodied spirit" according to tastings.com.

2) The primary flavor in gin is juniper berries (yes, your parents might have these low growing shrubs planted in their gardens).

3) Gin is also distilled through botanicals such as anise, angelica root, cinnamon, organge zest, coriander, cassia bark and many others. The specific botanicals chosen are the gin maker's prerogative and result in different flavors.  For example, Bombay Sapphire London Dry Gin contains almond, lemon zest, liquorice, juniper berries, orris root, angelica, coriander, cassia, cubeb and grains of paradise. Now, I'm not sure what all these are...but the combination is pleasant and aromatic.


Drink Responsibly

2 comments:

  1. I love gin! And they order gimlets a lot on Mad Men and I always wondered what it was, now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley in that I love Gin, so thanks for the info :)
    And I can personally attest that the gimlet is super refreshing and delish, but really strong. Next time I want to try the Gin Fizz!

    ReplyDelete